February 20, 2017

Shakeology Ingredient Spotlight....Ashwaghanda

My first stop with my virtual shopping of Shakeology ingredients is ASHWAGANDHA.  For anyone who has thyroid or adrenal issues Ashwagandha is an herb that you really want to know more about.  :)

Ashwagandha is the first super food that I wanted to explore from my list of Shakeology ingredients and is an adaptogenic herb.  Adaptogens are a unique class of healing plants which help balance, restore and protect the body.  

In India Ashwagandha is called the "strength of the stallion" because it is used to strengthen the immune system after someone has been ill.  It has also been known as Indian ginseng because it helps enhance stamina and has some incredible stress relieving properties.

Take a close look at some of the health benefits listed below.  You will be absolutely amazed at what this little herb can do.  There have been over 200 studies done on this herb's ability to:
~Improve thyroid function (something extremely important to me)
~Treat adrenal fatigue
~Combat the effects of stress
~Increase endurance and stamina
~Prevent and treat cancer
~Reduce brain cell degeneration
~Stabilize blood sugar
~Lower cholesterol
~Boost immunity

Little is known on why adaptogens work so well with balancing hormones.  Ashwagandha is a rock start with improving thyroid function.  For those of you who don't know I have hypothyroidism so learning about Ashwagandha had me all kinds of excited :)  The reason why I say it is a rock star is because it doesn't matter if you have hypo or hyper, this herb has been proven to help with both.  

I actually found a 20 day study on mice, where the T3 and T4 levels were analyzed and the results showed a significant increase in T4 which shows this herb has a stimulatory effect on a sluggish thyroid.  This is exciting news and just shows me one more great reason why I am going to continue to drink my shakeology.

It also greatly reduces lipid peroxidation, the electrons from the lipids in cell membranes is stolen resulting in cell damage. Which is more proof that is helps to treat hypothyroidism.

There are millions of people who are struggling with thyroid problems, the sad fact is some don't even know it.  The think that the symptoms they are experiencing are from something else. Check out this list and you will see what I mean.

Symptoms of hypothyroidism:
~Changes in menstruation - I admit my cycle was NEVER normal, so I honestly didn't think anything of this one.
~Constipation - Another one I would never have thought of.  I mean I never ate very healthy and I never drank water, so I figured that was why I was always constipated.
~Depression - With the life I had as a child and putting my biological father in jail when I was 16,  seriously depression from my underactive thyroid never even crossed my mind
~ Dry hair and hair loss - I posted last week about clumps of hair coming out during my shower, nuff said.  and gross! 
~Dry skin- always have
~Fatigue - I know some of this is blamed on my poor sleeping habits so another one that was a hidden symptom for me
~Greater sensitivity to cold - Ok so I thought I was just weird with this one.  I mean I am ALWAYS COLD!  Even in the summer time I would turn my seat heater on and drive with a lap blanket.
~Slow heart rate - yep my heart rate is about 60 beats per minute
~Swelling of the thyroid gland (goiter)  This may be just about the only symptom that I don't have
~Unexplained weight gain or difficulty losing weight - Losing weight for me is the ultimate struggle.  There is NOTHING more frustrating then eating exactly what you should AND working out 6 days a week and actually GAINING weight.  Very hard to wrap my head around.
~Carpal Tunnel Syndrom - Ok, I admit until tonight I had NEVER heard about this symptom.  Did I mention that I had Carpal Tunnel and Cubital Tunnel surgery on December 20th?  Yep on my right arm.  And guess what?  My left wrist and elbow are patiently waiting for their turn.

Wow!  I have EVERY symptom BUT one!  AND this was SO NOT supposed to be a hypothyroidism post. lol

Ashwagandha is a super star in my book.  Thank you to the creators of Shakeology for making sure this little beauty was added into my daily dose of dense nutrition, AKA my chocolate shake.  <3

So now that I have shown you the benefits of ashwagandha lets check out the price of this little beaut!

A month's supply on Amazon costs....about $10.00 per month.  Not too bad right?  But just remember that Shakeology has 70 super foods in it. :)  Make sure to visit again to see what ingredient I add next to my virtual shopping trip.

Sending strength, hope and love.

No comments

Post a Comment