April 15, 2016

Gluten Free Chili Spiced Pulled Pork Burrito Bowl

I have had a crock pot in my pantry since I moved into my home in 1997.  It's there but rarely used.  Don't ask me why.  You would think that being as busy as I am that I would welcome any help that I could get each day.

I think the reason for rarely using what could truly  become my best friend is because that would mean that I would have to plan in advance.  In all honesty, I never planned anything in advance unless it was my kid's sports schedules.  

I am finding that now because I am planning a week of meals in advance that the crock pot is an amazing tool.  I know what is being cooked every day in that week.  So I can just throw it in the crock pot, go to work and when I get home that evening, I have a delicious, healthy meal to feed my family, and me of course. :)

On Sunday I made Gluten Free Chili Spiced Pulled Pork Burrito Bowl in my crock pot.  This recipe was so easy to do, it really didn't cost a lot and it tastes delicious!  Normally when I make Pulled Pork it is drowning in barbecue sauce.  This was a delicious alternative and healthy! Oh and to make this recipe even easier, I used another friend of mine in the kitchen...my rice cooker!  

Instead of standing over a stove, wishing I could hurry up so I could go spend time with my family, I spent a total of 15 minutes or so throwing the ingredients the crock pot and then the rice and water in the rice cooker.  It is a WIN WIN!

GLUTEN FREE CHILI SPICED PULLED PORK BURRITO BOWLS

* 4 lb pork loin
* 6 Garlic Cloves, chopped
* 1 T. Chili Powder
* 2 tsp Cumin
* 2 tsp Paprika
* 1 T Course Sea Salt
* 1 C Fresh or Canned Salsa
* 1/4 C Honey
* 3 C Beans of Your Choice (Canned or Dried that have been cooked)
* 2 tsp Garlic Minced
* Sea Salt to taste
* 6 C white rice for gluten free, brown rice or quinoa for clean eating
* 3 Avocados sliced, (I didn't use avocados with this recipe because my son doesn't like them)
* Shredded cheese to top, if desired ( Omit for dairy free)
* Sour cream to top, if desired ( Omit for dairy free.  For clean eating, make sure to get a clean brand, such as Daisy or an organic variety.)
* Salsa to top, if desired.

INSTRUCTIONS:
1.  Place the pork loin in the crock pot. Cover the loin with the 6 cloves of chopped garlic, chili powder, cumin, paprika and salt.  Pour the salsa and honey over the pork.  Turn the crock pot on high and cover.  Cook for 4 hours on high or for 8 hours on low.
2.  At the end of 4 hours, shred the pork with a fork, tossing in the juices until they are all soaked up into the meat.  Keep warm.

3.  Place the beans in a sauce pan.  Add the garlic and bring to a simmer.  Season to taste with salt and remove from heat once cooked through.







TO ASSEMBLE BOWLS:
Place a serving of rice in a bowl and top with about 1/4 C Beans. Top with a generous portion of shredded pork.  Add desired toppings such as sour cream, salsa, avocado, cilantro and cheese.
This has truly become one of my favorite recipes.  I can't wait to make this again.  Enjoy! :)

Thank you so much for the support and your interest in this blog!  If you haven't already, please make sure to follow me on Face Book at Darlene Caron Nutrition and Fitness where you can find more recipes, fitness tips, motivation and information on upcoming Health and Wellness Accoutnability/Challenge Groups that I offer.

Talk to you soon! <3













No comments

Post a Comment