April 6, 2015

Clean Eating Pumpkin Chili Review

I know that I have been adding a lot of clean eating recipes lately on Face Book.  My family asked me if I was just posting them or if I was actually trying them.  So I decided to share with everyone else my experience making a Clean Eating Pumpkin Chili.



I made a few changes to my chili vs the chili recipe below.  First, we used deer meat instead of the grass fed beef.  I also did not put any pumpkin beer in it (at the request of my husband).


This part ^^^^ looks disgusting and I was starting to get worried.  This is right after I added the pumpkin puree to the deer meat.


Now, it is starting to look like a chili :)


Final product:  pumpkin chili with a dollop of sour cream.  It was really delicious.  Adding the sour cream was definitely a must.   It wasn't spicy or hot, tasted  a little sweet.  My husband said that he thought it had a good consistency and he liked that it wasn't greasy or anything.

So, will I be making this again?  Yes, my hubby gave it a thumbs up so I will definitely be making it again! 


Pumpkin Chili

Yield: Serves 8

Ingredients

2 lbs grass fed beef

coconut or grape seed oil

1 red onion, diced

2 green peppers, diced

4 garlic cloves, minced

2 tbsp cumin

1 tbsp chili powder

1 tbsp oregano

3 cups pumpkin puree

3 cups kidney beans, cooked and rinsed

6oz tomato paste

2 (28oz) containers crushed tomatoes

1 pumpkin beer

1 cup beef broth

2 habanero peppers, diced (remove seeds and ribs for less spicy chili)

salt, to taste

black pepper, to taste

Sour cream, for topping

Instructions

Heat the oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the onion and peppers and saute until translucent. Remove from the pan.
Add the ground beef. Cook the beef until browned. Add the garlic and sautee for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add back the sauteed onions and green peppers.
Add the spices. Cook for 2 minutes while stirring, until spices become fragrant.
Stir in the pumpkin puree, kidney beans, tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, habanero peppers, and pumpkin beer.
Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 hours.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with a dab of sour cream.


Follow me at: DarLean Fitness

Enjoy! 


Because I am WORTH IT! <3


No comments

Post a Comment